To submit a new resource finding or a relevant update about service animals or therapy animals that may be of value to our intended target market audience please Contact Us by clicking on the provided hyperlink.
Some downloadable files on this page are PDF (Portable Document Format) files. To view these files, you may need to install PDF software such as the free version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
- Canadian Human Rights Act
- Transport Canada Advisory Circular - Passenger Seating Requirements & Accessible Air Transportation (Space required for service animals-PDF)
- Canada Transport Act - Air Transportation Regulations - Terms & Conditions of Carriage of Persons with Disabilities (Section 149 - Service Animals) (PDF) (HTML)
Canadian Air Transportation Regulations
concerning the Terms and Conditions of
Carriage of Persons with
Air Travel Accessibility Regulations, published by Canadian Transportation Agency provides a general description of the provisions of the Air Transportation Regulations concerning the Terms and Conditions of Carriage of Persons with Disabilities, the Personnel Training for the Assistance of Persons with Disabilities Regulations and Part V of the Canada Transportation Act. This Canadian Transport Act is the only federal government legislation piece that speaks to certain terms and conditions of service animals being able to accompany their owners on an airplane and train.
Guide Animal Act
[RSBC 1996] CHAPTER 177
Blind Persons' Rights Act
[RSA 2000] Chapter B-3
- Human Rights, Citizenship and Multiculturalism Act
- Blind Person's Rights Act
- Blind Person's Rights Amendment Act (which adds specific protection for service dogs for the Deaf.)
- Alberta Service Dog Act (January 01, 2009)
- Alberta Service Dogs Qualifications Regulation
The Animal Identification Act
[Chapter A-20.1 of The Revised Statutes of Saskatchewan, 1978 (Supplement) (effective August 1, 1978) as amended by the Statutes of Saskatchewan, 1996, c.24; 1998, c.P-42.1; and 2000, c.37]
The Service Animals Protection
C.C.S.M. c. S90
- Food and Food Handling Establishments Regulation (see section 9)
Blind Persons' Rights Act
(R.R.O. 1990, Regulation 58, Guide Dogs)
- Ontarians with Disabilities Act
Ontario's first accessibility standard for customer service came into effect in Ontario on January 1, 2008. The standard states what businesses and other organizations in Ontario must do to provide their goods and services in ways that are accessible to people with disabilities.
Compliance with the Accessibility Standard for Customer Service by public sector / government agencies came into effect in Ontario on January 1, 2010. Private sector businesses (with more than 20 employees) are next in-line to comply with this standard as of January 1, 2012.
The legal requirements of the accessibility standards for customer service are set out in two Ontario Regulations:
- The Health Protection and Promotion Act R.R.O. 1990, Regulation 562, Food Premises (See section 60. Subsection 1)
- Blind Persons' Rights Act (R.S. 1989, c. 40, s. 1, An Act Respecting Certain Rights of Persons that are Blind)
Prince Edward Island
Newfoundland and Labrador
- Blind Persons' Rights Act [RSNL 1990] Chapter B-4
[Go to Articles/News Items.]